Monday, April 18, 2011

We tend to love children not because of who they are, but because of whose they are.

After all, we don't even really know who children are, or who they're going to be, because they don't yet have the words to tell us, and maybe they don't even know themselves. (I think this is true of older people as well, but it's easy to forget adults don't know).

I realized this today and it was a good reminder for me, because if I had to love everyone for who they were, it would be too hard. But just knowing that each person is a child of God and that I should treat them as carefully as I'd treat the child of anyone I love makes sense. I can wrap my mind around how I might treat the son or daughter of one of my best friends. The fact that God considers us his children.. I cannot wrap my mind around. But that's an idea for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment