Wednesday, April 11, 2012

All My Loving

"Close your eyes and I'll kiss you,
Tomorrow I'll miss you;
Remember I'll always be true.
And then while I'm away,
I'll write home ev'ry day,
And I'll send all my loving to you."

Today I was sitting on a bus randomly listening to "All My Loving" from the movie Across the Universe. I suddenly asked myself, "isn't this the song the guy sings the girl from across the ocean while there's a montage of him cheating on her?" I remembered how I had used to really enjoy the song before seeing the movie, because I took all the words at face value, and I had a revelation.

I believe people. When they tell me things about themselves, I buy them. The best example of this is when they tell me they don't have romantic feelings for someone. I believe their words in spite of their actions. This post isn't meant to target anyone in particular, because this has happened to me several times. And the conclusion I have come to is that people don't know themselves, either. It would be hypocritical of me to complain about this, since I certainly don't understand myself, and I am a verbal processor to boot. But this realization makes it difficult to trust people. It almost seems stupid to do so when so often I get burned in the end, whether simply looking foolish in front of other, more intuitive mutual friends, or feelings of betrayal when people blatantly go against what they told me to my face and I chose to trust.

My question would be how do you know when to trust people and when to ignore what they repeatedly verbalize in face of stronger evidence... but I said "would be," because ultimately I have no question. There isn't an answer. Sometimes I will just be wrong, and that can't be predicted in advance.

But I think there might be inherent value to trusting, given that I'll make mistakes whether I favor trust or cynicism. At the end of The Magician's Nephew, there are talking animals, and they are very nice. But Uncle Andrew can't understand their words and just thinks they are making animal noises, and is afraid of them because he perceives them as violent brutes. This is because Uncle Andrew is a giant jerk. C.S. Lewis is careful to point out here that our personal character affects the way we see others and the assumptions we make about them.

Right now I can't speak for trusting in all circumstances. I still don't trust that all the money we give to beggars goes to a good cause, for example, and my students here lie to my face without breaking a sweat. But in the context of established friendships, I wonder whether believing the words people chose for you to hear-- hard though it may be, and even though you might ultimately be wrong to do so-- is beneficial enough that it's worth it to try. To fight the instinct to distrust everyone forever, just in case. (This instinct isn't unreasonable, after all. Most people in your life end up hurting you, maybe even a lot.) To stay pure of heart and let God defend you when people take advantage. Yet in the end, I just don't know.

[Lastly,

"I'll pretend that I'm kissing
the lips I am missing
And hope that my dreams will come true."

This is unrelated, but I have to complain about this line. In the context of cheating, it's particularly horrible. In my opinion you can't pretend to be kissing the lips you are missing unless you are actually kissing some other pair of lips. Otherwise you'd just be imagining it.]

2 comments:

  1. I definitely struggle with this, as I tend to believe people unless they have proved me wrong multiple times. I guess that I just have to remember that I've hurt people as well and also need to be forgiven.

    I loved your reference to C.S. Lewis and I think that our character definitely shapes the way that we see others. I also hope that if we try to see others in a positive light and bring out the best of them, they will be encouraged to be the good we see in them. I hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment made my day. Earlier I was sort of stressed out wondering if what I had written made any sense at all. "Struggling with it" is exactly what I do; my thoughts on it are pretty nebulous and inconclusive.

      And I love this: Last year when you wrote the very first comment on this blog, you mentioned a quote from the entry that said basically the same thing as your 2nd paragraph here. It's fun to spot how our thinking remains consistent, or circles back to itself, especially in conversation!

      I think you're right, also, by the way. I think it's part of how God deals with us.. he sees us in a positive light through the lens of his son, and we are more inclined to be good than if he were shaming us all the time.

      Delete